Sunday, July 1, 2012

Brandon is 10!

Today is Brandon's birthday. 10 years old today! Can't believe he is in the double digits. Happy Birthday my sweet boy. I love you more than you will ever know.
 Branodn's birthday is always a very emotional day for me. He put the "heart" in the name of this blog. 10 years ago today, almost to the exact hour, I delivered my second son. What a day. I was so excitied to go to the hospital. I was induced so we knew he would be here that day.  After about 10 hours of labor, he was finally here. He was such a cute baby. A head full of dark hair, and just as beautiful as could be. They let us hold him for a while. We had friends and family there, so everyone got to see him for a few minutes. After a while the nurses wanted to take him to the nursery to clean him up and weigh him and all that good stuff. G went back with the nurse. A little while later G came back to the room and said that Brandon was turning blue and they kicked him out. WHAT?!?!? I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. Life as I knew it ended that very moment. I have not been the same person since. Soon after that doctors started coming in. Several of them. I don't remeber what they all did, but they kept talking about his heart. They were drawing me pictures of a regular heart and pictures of his heart. I thought my baby was going to die. Ugh, what emotions that brings back. We found out that Brandon had Transposition of the Great Arteries. Huh? What is that? Certainly they had to have me confused with someone else. This was not happening. But it was. By the time I saw him agian, my poor baby was already intubated. At just a couple of hours old. Later that day they transported him to Children's Hospital in New Orleans. My husband followed them over there until they got him settled. That was Brandon's home for the next 2 months. At just a couple of days old he had a procedure to keep the blood flowing. On July 17, one day after Jordan's birthday, Brandon had the Arterial Switch procedure. His Aorta and Pulmoary arteries were put back in the right places. This was about a 7 hour surgery. His surgeons were amazing. The nurses that took care of him were even more amazing. His recovery was tough. We did not get out of the hospital until August 29th. He has been pretty good since. He does have an irregular heart rate, and it is a little slow, but nothing that requires intervention at this point. Tomorrow we go for his annual check up with his cardiologist. While the visits have been good, it is very stressful for me. He seems to handle it all okay, but I know the older he gets the more it will affect him. Please say a prayer that all is still good. This boy fought so hard in the beginning. He is so special. He loves life and loves to laugh and have a good time. He doesn't take things too serious and just wants to have fun and enjoy his life. I love you Brandon! You make me so proud!

my sweet boy

1 comment: